We've seen some questions surface for Banner Saga so I thought I'd post these now with the answers to get this started.
Error on Warmaster player board back: Within the Warmaster Setup the Warband war token should be placed on 1 instead of 2.
1. Do bannermen start at silver level? The Thane board implies they start at bronze but must be upgraded to silver then gold.
Yes. The Thane’s card should be the bronze color. His upgrades on his player board are correct.
2. If a bannerman is at silver level, and is struck in combat, is he no longer able to use his ability? Does the same apply going from gold to silver?
Banner Rank loss due to wounds isn’t permanent. Being reduced below the rank during a skirmish that has an ability does not make the ability unavailable.
3. If a bannerman is struck in combat, but survives the combat and enters another one, does he maintain his level? For example, if a gold bannerman is struck once in one combat encounter, is he permanently reduced to silver, or just for that combat encounter?
If the bannerman (or silver rank followers) survives the skirmish they start off at their earned banner rank (the one they have unlocked) at the next skirmish. Banner Rank loss during combat only tracks damage and isn’t permanently lost or tracked.
4. Gold rank units automatically destroy a shield icon when attacking, does this apply to special attacks? If it does, does the thane's bannerman instant kill any unit with his gold level special?
5. Does Colby's special ability hit allied units? If so, can you opt to use the silver level of an ability even when at gold rank?
Yes, if you choose a side that has bannermen or followers on it. You must use the highest rank attack.
6. If a camp event card tells you to add another card to the camp event deck, do you resolve the second card immediately, or save it for the next camp phase?
Whenever you add a camp event card to the camp event deck you shuffle the cards in the camp event deck (if more than one) then place the deck cover over it. The exception to this is the Defeated camp event card which is placed on top and must be resolved during the next camp event.
7. Does difficult terrain count as a space? If so, what encounter do you have there? Or does it only count as a space when there is a godstone in the same place?
Difficult terrain does not count as a space. It only counts as an encounter if a godstone is present.
8. For the first turn of the game on mission card #1, do you have an encounter for the current space, then perform city actions, then move? Is the Keeper of Names forced to do his city action every time he gets a chance to do a city action?
In this example: After summoning the warband you resolve an encounter in the first space. Then you have a city action. Then you move. The Keeper of Names must perform his City Action only when the warband is summoned.
9. If an enemy archer has a priority to attack the bannerman with the highest renown, and is adjacent to one bannerman, but within range (where she needs both her movement and attack range) of another bannerman with higher renown, does she attack the adjacent unit or move to attack the other?
Enemies do not leave combat when engaged with bannermen and always perform their special ability if the conditions are met.
10. Is there any specific order to activate enemy units of the same type, or do we make the decision based on what is most advantageous/least advantageous for us?
This can be done in any order of the same type. These moves should be the least advantageous to the warband.
11. Can you ever deviate from the mission path? If not, what if the Serpent will unavoidably collide with your warband? Is it an unavoidable game over?
No. If the world serpent enters the same space as the warband it is game over. The Thane can help alleviate the random nature of the card with the Scout ability.