Banner Saga FAQ

MERCKennyMERCKenny Posts: 1,473
edited September 2016 in The Banner Saga: Warbands
We've seen some questions surface for Banner Saga so I thought I'd post these now with the answers to get this started.

Error on Warmaster player board back: Within the Warmaster Setup the Warband war token should be placed on 1 instead of 2.

1. Do bannermen start at silver level? The Thane board implies they start at bronze but must be upgraded to silver then gold.

Yes. The Thane’s card should be the bronze color. His upgrades on his player board are correct.

2. If a bannerman is at silver level, and is struck in combat, is he no longer able to use his ability? Does the same apply going from gold to silver?

Banner Rank loss due to wounds isn’t permanent. Being reduced below the rank during a skirmish that has an ability does not make the ability unavailable.

3. If a bannerman is struck in combat, but survives the combat and enters another one, does he maintain his level? For example, if a gold bannerman is struck once in one combat encounter, is he permanently reduced to silver, or just for that combat encounter?

If the bannerman (or silver rank followers) survives the skirmish they start off at their earned banner rank (the one they have unlocked) at the next skirmish. Banner Rank loss during combat only tracks damage and isn’t permanently lost or tracked.

4. Gold rank units automatically destroy a shield icon when attacking, does this apply to special attacks? If it does, does the thane's bannerman instant kill any unit with his gold level special?

No.

5. Does Colby's special ability hit allied units? If so, can you opt to use the silver level of an ability even when at gold rank?

Yes, if you choose a side that has bannermen or followers on it. You must use the highest rank attack.

6. If a camp event card tells you to add another card to the camp event deck, do you resolve the second card immediately, or save it for the next camp phase?

Whenever you add a camp event card to the camp event deck you shuffle the cards in the camp event deck (if more than one) then place the deck cover over it. The exception to this is the Defeated camp event card which is placed on top and must be resolved during the next camp event.

7. Does difficult terrain count as a space? If so, what encounter do you have there? Or does it only count as a space when there is a godstone in the same place?

Difficult terrain does not count as a space. It only counts as an encounter if a godstone is present.

8. For the first turn of the game on mission card #1, do you have an encounter for the current space, then perform city actions, then move? Is the Keeper of Names forced to do his city action every time he gets a chance to do a city action?

In this example: After summoning the warband you resolve an encounter in the first space. Then you have a city action. Then you move. The Keeper of Names must perform his City Action only when the warband is summoned.

9. If an enemy archer has a priority to attack the bannerman with the highest renown, and is adjacent to one bannerman, but within range (where she needs both her movement and attack range) of another bannerman with higher renown, does she attack the adjacent unit or move to attack the other?

Enemies do not leave combat when engaged with bannermen and always perform their special ability if the conditions are met.

10. Is there any specific order to activate enemy units of the same type, or do we make the decision based on what is most advantageous/least advantageous for us?

This can be done in any order of the same type. These moves should be the least advantageous to the warband.

11. Can you ever deviate from the mission path? If not, what if the Serpent will unavoidably collide with your warband? Is it an unavoidable game over?

No. If the world serpent enters the same space as the warband it is game over. The Thane can help alleviate the random nature of the card with the Scout ability.
Tagged:

Comments

• @MERCKenny Can you clarify your answer to #1? Are you saying all bannermen should be silver except thane? There is no renown cost on the thane card for the silver ability. Does that mean Deeds of Valor is the only way for the thane to upgrade to silver?
  • MERCKennyMERCKenny Posts: 1,473
    Yes. The Thane must perform Deeds of Valor to gain silver rank. To get this quickly it is wise to outright purchase the willpower upgrade with renown so the first deeds of valor upgrade will then be silver banner rank.
  • @MERCKenny #7. The rules say that there is a camp event every 3 spaces. In the first mission, if the rough terrain doesn't count as a space, there would only be two. So no camp event? Or is there always a camp event at the end of the line?
    edited September 2016
    @Sambojones The first space is an internal event, then you have another internal event after paying for the difficult travel, then you have an external event. That is the third.

This is the first sentence of Camp Action at the top of page 10 in the rulebook which should help you.

"After the players have moved the warband three times, the warband must resolve a camp action (except at the start of the game where the camp action is on the third event location)."
  • My apologies as you've addressed this already but I'm still confused:
    1. What rank do all of the player's bannermen start at?
    2. What is the significance of Banner Rank on the Warmaster's role card; is it only the effects listed or does that determine the banner rank of the bannermen within the warband?
    3. What cards are in the camp deck at the start of any given game?
    4. Can followers ever be upgraded to Gold rank?
    5. When an event card states that the Thane must give a speech, does that mean one of the ones listed (Rally, Boast, or Endurance) if they have a token on it? i.e. they cannot "give a speech" if they do not have a token available on a speech to spend.
    6. The Thane appears to start at Bronze banner (tied to question 1) and has fairly clear guidance on upgrading it, but how do you upgrade the other 3 bannermen?

Thank you for the answers, I think this game has a lot of potential.
  • Sorry, two last questions.
    7. Is renown group banked or individually banked, i.e. When it's gained through whatever means and not spent on an immediate ability can anyone spend it later or only the earning player.
    8. Can other players spend renown on your behalf (tied to last question), this matters when bannermen are wounded and you want to heal them in camp, that player may not have the requisite renown to heal themselves but someone else may. Also applies to buying items or any number of other things.

Thanks again for helping us enjoy this game.
  • @ajf798 I believe I know the answers to some of these:

1. What rank do all of the player's bannermen start at?
    Warmaster: Silver
    Thane: Bronze
    Keeper of Names: Silver
    Quartermaster: Silver

2. What is the significance of Banner Rank on the Warmaster's role card; is it only the effects listed or does that determine the banner rank of the bannermen within the warband?
    This is the warband banner rank and all effects are listed on the board (including how the warmaster earns renown). It does not impact bannerman or follower banner ranks.

3. What cards are in the camp deck at the start of any given game?
    None

6. The Thane appears to start at Bronze banner (tied to question 1) and has fairly clear guidance on upgrading it, but how do you upgrade the other 3 bannermen?
    Page 11, bannermen may upgrade after any event has been resolved by paying the renown cost on their card (willpower must be upgraded before gold ability).
  • @ajf798 and these:

7. Is renown group banked or individually banked, i.e. When it's gained through whatever means and not spent on an immediate ability can anyone spend it later or only the earning player.
    Individually banked

8. Can other players spend renown on your behalf (tied to last question), this matters when bannermen are wounded and you want to heal them in camp, that player may not have the requisite renown to heal themselves but someone else may. Also applies to buying items or any number of other things.
    No, but one role can give renown to another role in exchange for a vote during internal/external event bargaining (page 7).
  • How does the Warband stat on the Warmaster role card work? I thought it was tied to the Warband section on the Keeper of Names role card, but the initial state doesn't add up right based on my understanding. The Keeper of Names starts with 1 tent of Clansmen and 1 tent of Varl, so this means a token goes on the number 2 section in the warbard area on the Keeper of Names card. It looks like having 1, 2, or 3 tents all have a value of 1 for the Warmaster (as indicated by the small circles next to the Warmaster icon). However, the Warmaster's Warband starts at 2 per the back of the role card. This seems to require 4 of 5 tents full of people to get to a Warband rank of 2 though.
  • The big question for me: How do you determine a warband's strength for the purpose of War cards? The PDF and video both refer to the original (old) Keeper of Names card.
    @SarimRune If you look at the Keeper of Names board you can see empty circles over the 300 clansmen tent and the 10 varl tent. If you have equal to or over the amount of troops where these icons are you gain 1 shield for war. So, having 300+ clansmen and 10+ varl is 2 shields. The other shields must be earned during a skirmish and degrade over time.

If the numbers of your troops ever drop below the 300 or 10 the shield strength is immediately lost.

@SideVariable you are correct the Warband section of the Warmaster board should be on 1 instead of 2. You were tracking it right the number is wrong on the backside of the warmaster's board.
  • In skirmishes, the rules state that tokens can move diagonally or orthogonally. Does moving diagonally take 1 movement point as a result?

If yes, does that have implication for attack range? In other words, if I have a range of 1 and I'm diagonal to an enemy, am I in range?

Similarly, are diagonal units considered "adjacent" for effects such as the backbiter's special attack?
    @SideVariable Moving diagonally takes 1 movement point.

In your example you would be within range.

Yes diagonal units are considered adjacent.
  • Are you intended to continue play from one mission card to another? I.e. Carry over your wounds, renown, upgrades, or are you to start from scratch each mission card.
    @ajf798 You start from scratch at the beginning of each mission.
  • Do the different seasons on the skirmish boards affect the gameplay of the skirmish at all? Or are they just cosmetic/thematic?

Thanks for all the clarifications so far @MERCKenny; it's very helpful!
  • 9. If an enemy archer has a priority to attack the bannerman with the highest renown, and is adjacent to one bannerman, but within range (where she needs both her movement and attack range) of another bannerman with higher renown, does she attack the adjacent unit or move to attack the other?

Enemies do not leave combat when engaged with bannermen and always perform their special ability if the conditions are met.
    I saw this sentence in the rulebook, but wasn't sure what this meant, and I don't see how this answers the question. Are you saying if an enemy is adjacent to any bannerman it will never move away to attack a higher priority target? If an enemy is adjacent/attacked by a bannerman is that "engaged" and moving away would be "leaving combat"? Does that not apply to followers?

Being engaged with a unit is being adjacent to it if it is an enemy. A enemy unit cannot leave adjacency with a bannerman. It can remain adjacent however, but still move while maintaining its adjacency to that unit to be in range of a higher priority target if there is available space.

This does not apply to followers unless they are a provoker and have a higher banner rank than the targeted bannerman.
  • sonambulosonambulo Posts: 2
    edited October 2016
    Thanks for the clarification, that was not at all clear from the one sentence in the rulebook. I'll try replaying some skirmishes using these rules and see how it goes.

It does seem like it could be possible to exploit this though. If you have a gold rank bannerman, seems like you could engage any number of bronze rank enemies without taking damage while the rest of the party hangs back.
    Typically skirmishes that you encounter when you would earn gold rank are tougher, as in units are silver rank or above. However, you are correct, a gold rank bannerman can "lock up" a bronze rank enemy indefinitely.
  • Quick question.
    When an event tells you to lose something and you don't have it. What happens?
    Example. The event says discard 3 supplies. But the quartermaster has 1. Do we just discard 1 and that's it? Or do we treat it the same as when we're traveling and then the keeper of names discards as well?

Thanks
  • Can you move through friendly units during a skirmish if you have enough movement to completely be placed on the other side?

Thanks!
    @draemond In your example you would discard 1 and then that is it.

@whfanatic Yes.
  • Is the only win condition of the game the objective stated on the mission? Ie. it's fully coop. I seem to recall that it was supposed to be one winner - the player with the most renown, but I can't find this in the rules.
  • Errors :

Mission Card#6 (English and French Version) : the objective on the 2 faces says "reach Arberrang" but it must be "reach Manaharr".

Mission Card#2 (French Version) : the objective on the 2 faces says "atteindre Arberrang" but it must be "atteindre Old Ford".
  • EndevorEndevor Posts: 410
    Thanks i will check it and add this to my FAQ.
  • @MegaCon Games

Could you put the french rulebook in the Download Section (at least the Role Boards and Role Setup we can find at the end of the french booklet) in order to print the french Role Boards easily. :wink:
    I asked Keith for that and for the skirmish cards that i translated, i can't do the HD export with the files i have, i hope he will do it.
  • ajf798ajf798 Posts: 4
    Are followers limited to one per role, except for the Warmaster who can have two? I am assuming this based on the slots on the card.
    edited October 2016
    Until Keith find some time to share it with me i shared the french role boards and the french skirmish cards but with low definition, you will tell me if it is enough for printing.

fanmade.fr/bsfr/Fiche%20de%20Role%20VF%20face%20basse%20d%c3%a9finition.pdf
    fanmade.fr/bsfr/Fiche%20de%20Role%20VF%20dos%20basse%20d%c3%a9finition.pdf
    fanmade.fr/bsfr/Cartes%20escarmouche%20VF%20basse%20d%c3%a9finition.pdf

Note : i fixed the bug on the warmaster board (the warband marker was supposed to be set on 1).