Campaign ideas

Hi,

how about gathering plot ideas for future game masters?
One thing I'd like to do as a game master in MERCS will be to put my players through a series of tough moral dilemmas where they have the choice between fulfilling their objective or taking the moral high ground.
Some of these situations will no doubt involve them being part of an FCC black ops operation in which they first get to bond with the FCC operatives and then are asked to betray them. The idea is to eventually leave them with the decision between staying with their corp despite all the crap they'll be put through or join the FCC (maybe as moles within their MegaCon?). Should they decide to do the latter a slew of new problems will arise since they might lose their status, wealth and even risk the well-being of their families, friends and co workers.

What are your ideas for the upcoming RPG?
Best regards

Bartender

Comments

• I'd pick some small point out of the 'world' as it's written so far, probably a few of them, make them disparate, have the team looking at one, find links to another, slowly build a case for access to the MERCS program and a campaign finisher similar to the 'historical' saving of KemVar from an all out ISS assault in scope. I'd be sure to utilise corporate politics, that is the inevitable mid senior management that tend to treat their people like a feudal lord, more interested in personal power than corporate outlook, so plenty of room for out of corporate range politicing and shaftings. The idea is to leave the players unsure of where their loyalty should lie to make full use of the loyalty parameters you describe. I'd also pick one of the 'Cons to be the boogey-man and so remove that Con as a player choice. Probably CCC as they are written, they make great bad guys who are adept at staying out of light and pointing the finger at others. All early days, I'm very experieinced with RPGs so building something out of the rulebook would be easy for me.
  • TrackerTracker Posts: 42
    Kill the FCC Dj out in the ruined city that bad mouthing all the corps. Just a simple mission I guess
  • BoocheckBoocheck Posts: 172
    edited January 2014
    Well, it will be cliche but my plot will be a briefcase or memory card (coded and locked) which everyone wants and is prepared to do anything to prevent others except themselves to get their hands on it. Lot of betrayal and "can we trust them" situations :)

Johny Mnemonic and Total Recall mixed together :)
  • zerotwozerotwo Posts: 14
    edited January 2014
    I can't see MERCS providing much in the way of interesting roleplaying that another product doesn't already cover better and in more detail, so the thrill for me and potential players would be getting to be MERCs and do MERC things.

So...

Heist

I'd run a campaign where the team of MERCs were the megacon's "heist" squad, that would allow me to create dozens of bank/train/armoured car/helicarrier/low-orbit space station robbery scenarios, kidnappings, frame jobs, and other non-pure murder related activities. I feel there's some huge potential for almost any of the factions outside of perhaps USCR/CCC for this sort of thing.

Espionage

I'd run a campaign where the team of MERCs were heavily involved in False Flag and other deceptive ops, if you could get your hands on another faction's armour, functional, what could you do with that kind of operational access? Infiltrators could inflict untold damage on another Megacon's reputation. I would couple this with an inability to contact the home base, so the PCs had this incredible opportunity and only their own imaginations to figure out how to exploit it to the best. Lots of chances to be in and out of the suits, more roleplaying and stealth heavy.

Man vs. Environment... and lasers

I've always thought that with the technology behind their armour MERCs could wind up fighting in environments much more interesting than they currently do. So, how about a MERCs Extreme Conditions team? Fighting in space, platform to platform, sabotaging satellites , etc., or battling at the bottom of a sea, or attempting to steal data from a crashed aircraft in an active volcano. Basically, when the job's too extreme for the regular squads, well, you send in the PC team.

Realistically all of these things could be lumped together into a serialized campaign with a episodic nature where each "episode" was broken into a somewhat unconventional 3-act.
  • Boocheck said:

Well, it will be cliche but my plot will be a briefcase or memory card (coded and locked) which everyone wants and is prepared to do anything to prevent others except themselves to get their hands on it. Lot of betrayal and "can we trust them" situations :)

Johny Mnemonic and Total Recall mixed together :)

For no apparent reason my brain immediately conjured up the briefcase from Pulp Fiction! Sounds like a good idea though. :)
  • TurtleHatTurtleHat Posts: 340
    Short session idea: A seemingly empty oil tanker drifts into port on your MegaCon's coastline. Scout it out! What enemies hide inside?
  • TobinTobin Posts: 98
    I'd love to put my players in a campaign that starts them out as lowly citizens of a MegaCorp. Maybe a few general laborers, and a floor manager at a CCC steel mill. Then thrust them into a battle for survival as a rival MegaCon attacks. Let them decide if they run or fight.

In the first session, make it start purposefully dull, really dull. Getting a bus. Going to work. Punch in. Then have the strike. Unarmed they must escape. Then its up to them. Do they try to make it to a MERCS base to seek help? Do they find guns on their own to run their own defense? Maybe they run into an FCC cell and decide to capitalize on the situation. Endless possibilities from session to session.
  • BoocheckBoocheck Posts: 172
    edited January 2014
    Hell i am having fun and that game even doesnt exist yet :D
  • genxesisgenxesis Posts: 152
    I'd drop players in the middle of a jungle in South America. Plot could revolve around breaking into research facility deep in KemVar territory.
  • TobinTobin Posts: 98
    genxesis said:

I'd drop players in the middle of a jungle in South America. Plot could revolve around breaking into research facility deep in KemVar territory.

That'd make a great Predator spinoff featuring a KemVar assassin ;).

• genxesisgenxesis Posts: 152
    I was definitely thinking Predator feel for it haha. Great!
  • HawtKarlHawtKarl Posts: 659
    I think @zerotwo‌ has the best scenario ideas on this thread. I like putting players beyond just killing things. I also think that MegaCon needs to release more fluff on the MERCS universe, but they're too busy making other games.
  • MangodMangod Posts: 1
    Another idea could be to run an investigative campaign. I've even got three different iterations of the same basic plotline, with an escalating probability for violence:

1) Someone's redirecting the MegaCons money into a personal bank account outside of the MegaCons territory. The MERCS are called in to track down and retrieve the money and bring back the thief (not necessarily alive).

2) A spy within a rival MegaCon has informed the board that their rivals are getting insider information about an important corporate project. The spy has already been crossed off the list of suspects: s/he doesn't have access to the project data, only its name and a few details. Again, track down the leak, this time with the possibility of stiffer resistance in the form of a rival MERCS extraction team trying to retrieve their insider informant and any data he might still have before your team can capture and silence the leak.

3) The MERCS have been contacted by a third party, warning them of an FCC plot to bring down the MegaCon. Following the information your contact provided, you discover that the FCC spy is a member of the Board of Directors, making discretion an absolute necessity; if you are discovered, the Board can shut down your investigation before you've gathered sufficient evidence to prove that the MegaCon is in danger, and that a board member is the spy. Worse, if the suspect catches on to you, FCC assassins could be coming for you.
  • HydriatusHydriatus Posts: 26
    Having read The Worker's Heart - shenanigans in Helsinki! Running into another off-duty MERCS team comes to mind as an interesting one-off mission to insert into a long running campaign...